Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Potty Training

Potty training isn't a new thing to the Martin Family. Ryan has had his potty chair for a LONG time...sitting in the bathroom...taunting me (I mean him)....just generally being in the way but available should he ever feel the urge.

Back in December, we started talking a lot more about going pee pee on the potty...and how big boys and girls use the potty instead of diapers. We had several days of trying to potty train which ultimately resulted in multiple big accidents. He was "fine" with the accidents and even went so far as to tell me: "It's okay Mommy...it's just an accident". That was usually how I heard that there was even an accident waiting for me to clean up!

We have books (2 of which I bought and 3 from the neighbors) and a video (again, from a neighbor) so we were all set to learn to use the potty. We would sit on the potty on the potty chair...or sometimes he'd want to sit on the potty seat on the big potty. Whatever was fine with me.

I realized after the first few days (in December) that we weren't quite ready yet - and we had so many days away from home, that it was just really too much for me and too confusing for Ryan (pee in the potty at home but wear a pull-up when we go out). So we made a deal. This deal was different from all the other deals we'd made in the past...no potty loot...no special treats...just the opportunity to be a big boy. So starting new year's day, we woke up...made a big deal about picking out undies....and made the big switch. And wouldn't you know it? He did GREAT!

We had a few accidents over the first few days. But I really think that spending time at home with Mommy AND Daddy really helped. We did take it nice and slow though....all morning would be dry...followed by a nap in a pull up (I have some FUNNY stories about naps and pulls ups...but that's a different post)....and then sometimes we'd stay in a pull up the rest of the day.

After 4-5 days of relatively accident-free mornings/afternoons, we ventured out. It was a big step for this mommy. I really thought that as soon as we got in the car, he'd decide he'd have to go potty and THEN what would we do? But after running to 2 stores and talking about keeping his undies dry, he made it home and went potty all by himself!

I was so proud! I thought this day would never come! And it was still 2 weeks before his third birthday - which was a goal I set for us but never shared with anyone.

The only other big hurdle was pooping on the potty. We had a couple of poo-poo accidents during those first few days - but I sort of expected them. Pooping on the potty is a lot more scary for kids than going pee-pee. So we did have a reward for pooping: GUM! I bought him some trident bubble gum and during that week before we started potty training, we talked it up a LOT. How big boys get to try new things...they get to help mommy in the kitchen (stirring, making cookies, etc)...they get to help use the vacuum cleaner....they get to eat special treats like GUM!

He could hardly wait to try it. So the first time he went poop on the potty, he screamed "NOW I get to have GUM???!!!???" It was so cute!

So even though it's been about a month since we started potty training, he still has an occasional "accident" (although it's more like a dribble). But for the most part, he's really good about telling me when he has to go....or if we're out and about, he'll hold it until we get home.

We're now working on going pee-pee in public restrooms. He refuses unless I have his potty chair. So now I carry it in a bag with us when we go run errands.

Hey...it's better than lugging a diaper bag and diapers everywhere!

No comments: