Dearest Ryan:
Someone once said that the days are long but the years are short … and oh, how true it is. Through the many trials and tribulations of your first two years of life, I’ve tried to remember this verse. That although we might be up to our eyeballs in the daily mucky-muck, the years will fly right by. And fly by they have.
As I sit here, the days before your 2nd birthday, I miss the baby that you once were and rejoice in the little boy you have become. I treasure the boo-boo kisses…whether it’s me giving them to you or you giving them to me after an inadvertent bonk to the head…the belly laughs as you tickle me or daddy…the wonder and excitement of discovering new things. I remember the long nights where I hardly slept but cherished the cuddles and songs that we shared and rejoice in the fact that you ask me to sing to you or that I can watch you sleeping peacefully in your crib with a big-boy-pillow.
In the last year you have accomplished so much that I can barely remember all of the activities we shared. Off the top of my head, here is a quick laundry list:
Music Together: a weekly music class where we sang, danced, and played. You still love to hear the songs and you definitely have your favorites. You even learned some Spanish in this class…Don Alfredo is a great dancer!
Train Museum in Old Sacramento: a special date with Mommy and Daddy. You loved going to the museum and seeing all of the trains. There was a special area upstairs at the museum where you played with the miniature trains of all shapes and sizes. We also took a short train ride along the river – which you absolutely loved!
Gymnastics Class – a weekly program that we participated in. Although we didn’t continue taking the gymnastics classes, you learned so much in the six weeks that we were enrolled. Your grandma and papa were so amazed that an 18 month old not only knew what a summersault was, but could do one when asked. You also learned how to walk on the balance beam, climb up structures, jump on the trampoline, and walk backwards. All of this at such a young age!
Trips to the zoo, the bounce houses, the parks, Fairytale Town, and kid gyms: so many adventures that I’m happy that I was able to share with you. The wonder in your big eyes, the sound of your laughter, and the joy in your face as you ran, jumped, climbed, looked, and learned are part of my indelible memory: things that I’ll never forget.
I love that I get to discover things with you! Simple things like going to the party store to pick up some supplies for your birthday party turned into an adventure as we wandered into the pet store next door. Although you have seen so many of the animals in books, it was really a first for you to see the animals in person. Fish, snakes, rabbits, birds, mice, lizards, crabs, geckos, and turtles became the most exciting things and I was so excited to show them all to you.
Your daddy and I love to teach you new words! You are so eager to learn and happy to oblige, that you end up saying some pretty big words. My personal favorite things that you say/do are:
- When asked how old you are, you get excited and smile and scream “TWO”! When asked how big you are, you throw your hands in the air and do a little dance and shout: “Soooo big”!
- I love how you say “thank you”. It comes out as “tank ‘em”. It’s adorable. It really is. “Have it” is another cute one…it comes out as “habit”. Usually “habit” is combined with the sign for please. How can I resist?
- One of the games daddy taught you is “get you”. You love to be chased…and caught. And the threat of some bun-biting throws you into a fit of giggles. The best part of the game? When you decide that you want to chase us…and start saying “a bite” and making chomping sounds. Sooo cute.
- HIKE! Everything gets “hiked” in this house: socks, pants, shoes, little boys named Ryan. You love it and if we forget to say it when removing these things, you’re very happy to remind us!
- Currently wearing 24 months/2 T shirts and pants. Although within about a week, your 24 month pants are getting too short!
- Size 7.5 shoe – although your tennies are 8s.
- Size 5 diapers and size 5 overnite diapers. We’re working on potty training but so far no real success. You do like to climb up on the potty and pretend. You know what it sounds like, that’s for sure! :)
- Your eyes have changed from a deep blue to more of a blue/green/gray. A definite combo from your daddy and me. Both of us have eyes that change colors…we’re happy that you get that too!
- You love to play with your tools and fix anything with a screw.
- You also love to cook, vacuum, and dust.
- You hate to have dirty hands…and will come find me if they get dirty.
- You love to play with playdough – cutting it is the best part!
- You love books! Your favorites right now are the books about trucks and the books with all the pictures of everyday items (clothes, vehicles, colors, etc). About 6 months ago, your favorite book was the one about three singing pigs.
- You love to sing into your microphone. We are working on learning twinkle, twinkle, little star; baa, baa, black sheep; and your abc’s. We’re not there yet, but you love to hear them.
- You love to play Ring around the Rosey….especially the falling down part.
- When you jump, you never land on your feet. I think it’s because we go to the bounce house and when you jump there, you land on your buns. It’s not quite the same jumping at home and landing on the hard floor…but you do it anyway…and laugh about it – which makes me laugh too. Silly boy!
- You love to play ‘ou-sy” (or “outside” for us non-toddler-speakers). We can spend hours in the backyard “mowing”, playing in the sandbox, going down the slide, climbing up on the chairs, looking for the family of birds that live in the big tree, checking out the fountain, etc.
- You hate to eat dinner. Plain and simple. One day I hope you’ll eat but for now it’s a battle and I right now, I choose to remember my mantra: the days are long but the years are short. It’s not worth the fight, I’d rather enjoy you just the way you are. As your doctor said, he’ll eat when he’s hungry.
Love always and forever,
Mommy
No comments:
Post a Comment